Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sunshine and Ghent

I came here to work at my desk and the sun is pouring in, it's stunning. But it got 'too hot'... which has been unimaginable for so many months that I wanted to stand it, loving the light. I opened the window next to me, it helped some but my face was still burning.

After an hour I had to move the curtain a little, to cover the sun.
They're talking of rain tomorrow.

Anyway I'm off to Ghent later today ... it's medieval Europe's largest city outside Paris. Apparently it had an industrious yet rebellious past. Mid-14th century it was Europe's largest cloth importer and employed thousands of people however they were known for their armed battles for civil liberties and against the heavy taxes imposed on them ... oh how far mankind has progressed. (It's French name is Gand)
Reading up on it, I see there's a 12th century castle, complete with a moat, turret and arrow slits, called Gravensteen. Might be interesting for this Kiwi ... we only had Larnach Castle back in New Zealand but it was just a wee place built in 1871.

5 comments:

Lever said...

LMAO That's exactly what most 'new world' denizens say... My girlfriend and I are always bantering about the differences between the UK and the US and when she said "Yes, but we've got a castle too" I noted it was built around the time of the Great War (Gillette Castle, CT) not like the 13th Century keep just down the road here ;)

Enjoy Gent. Do we get to see photos?

Lever said...

LMAO That's exactly what most 'new world' denizens say... My girlfriend and I are always bantering about the differences between the UK and the US and when she said "Yes, but we've got a castle too" I noted it was built around the time of the Great War (Gillette Castle, CT) not like the 13th Century keep just down the road here ;)

Enjoy Gent. Do we get to see photos?

Harvey Molloy said...

Over here in Wellington it has been raining for the entire week. I now want it stop for the weekend!

Erin said...

OOh! I am jealous. I wanted to see Ghent when I visited a friend who lives in Antwerp (another beautiful city by the way, lucky you) but I didn't get there.

Will there be pictures?

Good trip!

Di Mackey said...

Hi lever, new world citizens ... okay okay. Yes to photos, but don't expect too much. We arrived there 4.30pm and everything was closed or closing ...

I love Wellington ...sigh, even its rain. Good luck with your weekend wish.

Hey w-w, you can't be jealous, I read your posts and feel the same ... Spain is still on my to-do list.