Thursday, March 09, 2006

Location Location Location

I just realised I've lived in 18 different houses in 22 years ... 15 while married and advancing my husband's career. We bought twice ... different places as he worked his way up the ladder in different schools throughout the South Island of New Zealand ... Cromwell, Dunedin, Marlborough, Te Anau and back to Dunedin again.

Later I lived alone in 2 homes in Istanbul and now there's this place where I live here in Belgium.
My favourites ... I dont think I have a photo of the home we owned near the harbour edge however, I have the one of the odd little cottage I rented after the divorce. They were difficult days but I had a sea kayak and could afford secondhand books and red wine sometimes ... it wasn't such a bad life, not bad at all actually. And I remember I could lie in bed and watch the sun arrive in the mornings ...

2 comments:

Mark J said...

It's funny but the place I remember you with the most clarity was TeAnau. I remember how excited you were about your book of interviews, and how you were so caught up in the lives of those amazing people you met while researching your book. I don't find it the least bit surprising that now you are a source of interesting stories for others to devour. Long may it continue :)

Di Mackey said...

Hey Mark, thanks for the memory and the kind words. It was good to find an old friend blogging back home in New Zealand!