Sunday, March 19, 2006

Politics ...

Politics is the family at breakfast. Who is there and who is absent and why. Who misses whom when the coffee is poured into the waiting cups. Can you, for example, afford your breakfast? Where are your children who have gone forever from these their usual chairs? Whom do you long for this morning? What rhythm is it that pushes you to hurry toward pleasures life has promised you, or to a confrontation you wish you could win just this once? Where are the children of this mother who, in her slightly crooked spectacles, sits knitting a pullover of dark blue wool for the absent one who does not write regularly? Where is your gentle chatter, your splendid isolation, your lack of need of the outside world for even a few moments? Where is your illusion laid bare by the newspaper lying on the cane chair at your side? What small act of forgiveness are you training yourself to perform today? What reproach do you wish to utter? And what reproach do you wish erased? Who threatened your wonderful mistakes, staying up to spoil your night? Who ruins your sweet inconsequential things with the awe of his authority and his driver and his servants and his happy bodyguards? Who imported this small, shiny teaspoon from Taiwan? What giant ships ploughed the seas to bring you some trivial piece of primitive gadgetry from Stockholm? How did the flower merchants make their millions and build their fine houses from selling the bouquets carried by mothers and sisters to graveyards that are always damp: raindrops, flowers, and tears. You question why even the silence in the graveyards is wet. Politics is the number of coffee-cups on the table, it is the sudden presence of what you have forgotten, the memories you are afraid to look at too closely, though you look anyway.

Staying away from politics is also politics.
Politics is nothing and everything.

Mourid Barghouti
I Saw Ramallah

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Di (what's your real name?)!
I've just seen your comments about my photos....THANKS A LOT for your nice words!It's a great pleasure to read them and it's a stimulus to go on with this passion.
I see that you live in Belgium, I like it so much! I think Brugges is one of the most beautifoul city that I've ever visited.
Your blog seems to be very interesting, I'll try to find the time to read it sometimes!
Keep in touch and thanks again!

Marco :)

jarvenpa said...

Thanks for stopping at my site on your wanderings--I have bookmarked your page, feeling a certain kinship of spirit, and shall check in from time to time. (Yes, I would never have begun my blog without Khalid's cheerful post about how easy it was. Since then I have been amazed at the delicate interweavings of connections across our planet & through our hearts and visions).

Di Mackey said...

I really enjoyed your photos Marco, especially the sea and the mountain shots, the verandah scene too. Bruges is becoming my 'guided- guest-special' (no complaints so far) and I can only agree, it's always lovely there.

Hi Jarvenpa, I stayed reading at your site, enjoying your writing voice and stories, then noticed the connections and couldn't resist commenting :)