Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Pondering and Wandering

My blog continues to morph and change shape ... as I get used to using the medium, as I define what it is to me.

Over the years I've developed a favourites list that slows my computer; a favourites list that was developed by a woman with an abstract vision of 'organisation'; a list that is impossible to use in a good way due to the sprawling nature of my curiousity and interests. It's only when I sit down and search through it that I refind the treasures I stored there.

And so bookcrossing.com was dusted off and brought back out into the light ... the search option on blogger means that I will be saved from the results of random collection in future and archives are simpler to scroll through.

Wandering again, I found this site called Pidjin and so out it comes too.

The beauty of blogging is that you don't have public expectations ... this is an electronic journal I'm happy to share but it's written for me.

Why do I do it?

I have to have something to account for my days while I wait to be legal here; a project; a connection to the world; a way of measuring how I spent my free time. If my blog was my business, would I have succeeded? A strange question ... perhaps not in these days when our worth is measured by career or income, by the vehicle we drive or the house that we live in.

Anyway Pidjin was created in order to provide a common ground on which artists of all media could converge to share their work as well as influence each other. Whether it be the color of paint, the form of a torso, the rhythm of words, or a story created by a song -- we hope members and viewers can find something in the work on Pidjin that resonates within themselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you use firefox as a browser (which you should) you can download two very neat tools: one is the delicious toolbar. It allows you to save and tag sites instead of putting them into your bookmarks folder. Advantages: you can access your 'favourites' from anywhere and you can share them with other delicious users (social bookmarking). Two is Stumble Upon. You say what you like and then you press the 'Stumble Upon' button and you are shown a site that fits the category. You can say whether you like it or not and that refines your criteria... It's really great.

Firefox is THE best browser. It has everything and more and it is not owned by microsoft and totally free. Go get it: www.getfirefox.com

If you don't know what to do... I can use some help with www.fightingignorance.com (see: help wanted) :).

Di Mackey said...

I'll look into firefox ... thanks for the recommendation :)