Thursday, November 02, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON ...

Jason was one of my Istanbul colleagues.
He played stand-in little brother, and just like my little brother he towered over me ... unfortunately, just like my little brother he delighted in making also 'wicked plans to embarass Diane'.

He mimicked my accent terribly and loved to shout AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! in the school corridors, telling all and sundry that I couldn't resist the downunder urge to shout back OI OI OI! as he had experienced on his European tour with Contiki and many Australians.

He wrote things in my school textbooks ... terrible amusing things that would almost make me choke on laughter as I happened upon them while reading a story to my students. Those same books I occasionally loaned to said students when they forgot their textbooks.

He and his wife Beste became treasured Istanbul friends, taking me home to her parents, feeding me, sharing raki and laughter. Gert was approved of by Beste's father before I was whisked off to Belgium - her mother said I could come back and live with her anytime.

I met Jason's parents too, and felt comfortable asking them precisely where they thought they had gone wrong with their boy ... :)

Jason and I mocked each other to within an inch of our lives - standing all, loving Turkey and its people with the same passion, complaining about the chaos occasionally.

He and Beste have moved to a new life back in the States but still he's making outrageous accusations. This time, Anonymous Jason commented here, claiming I had forgotten his birthday yesterday.

I would reply ..... Noooooo Jason, I was just preparing this big surprise for you on my blog.

Happy Birthday Jason!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He seems like a cool guy. You should publish some of the quotes he wrote in those said school books.
Go Socceroos!

Di Mackey said...

Cool ... !? Lol you would say that. He's a naughty American really.

I can't write what he wrote in those school books ... it was too bad to share.

(Note to self: thank goodness for comment moderation).

Anonymous said...

C'mon...share them. Hell I don't remember some of the things that I wrote. I mean really who reads the comments *giggle* so you can put one here for a trip down memory lane.

I was expecting a publishing of the link I gave you on that wonderful woman...maybe it's still in the works... I would prefer that to one about me but thank you for the accurate wording of our relationship.

*muah*

J

Di Mackey said...

Lol ... I had to take down the big photo Jason, it was destroying my blog layout.

I can't write what you used to write Jason ... yes, it was that bad.

Let me work on the link ... I've just been working all day long - dramatic sigh.

paris parfait said...

Sounds like a good friend and a wonderful person. Beautiful photograph.

Di Mackey said...

He is Tara - they both are. Beste's his civilising influence ;) lol