Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I raised my eyebrow and looked over at Gert's 9 year old son.
Tandenborst?
He called out to his dad, saying he didn't understand.

I called after him, 'Nooooooooo, I did the toothbreast thing again.

Tanden ... teeth.
Borst ... breast.
Borstel... brush.

And let's not even talk about how Groot wit brood niet gescheiden, alsjeblief has hard-wired itself into my little linguistically incompetent mind.

Niet gesneden or not sliced is what I am meant to say when asking for a big loaf of white bread, please in the bakery ... the baker doesn't need to know that I want my white bread not divorced.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*ROTFLMAO*
(insert several snorts here)

I've so done this. The embarrassment is indescribable. I have a chronic problem with the German verb "schiessen" (to shoot), and the vulgar colloquial "scheissen" (to sh*t). I also tend to ask for my bread "geschitten" (nonsense word but oh how it sounds) instead of "geschnitten" (machine-sliced).

Anonymous said...

Yea those divorced breads, they are on the increase. This society isnrt what it used to be. First it were the people who got a divorce, now each slice of bread wants to divorce the others. Where has society gone?

Di Mackey said...

Lol hi Lisa ... yes, I'm never sure that it's not my blush that sets them off laughing at me.

German and Dutch are very similar ... poor us, the infidels from other places.

Manic ... your social comment is a welcome addition to my blog :)