Monday, October 02, 2006

Banksy on the subject of working for Nike

Over the past couple of years the very brands he despises have approached him to do advertising campaigns for them. Is there work he would turn down on principle? "Yeah, I've turned down four Nike jobs now. Every new campaign they email me to ask me to do something about it. I haven't done any of those jobs. The list of jobs I haven't done now is so much bigger than the list of jobs I have done. It's like a reverse CV, kinda weird. Nike have offered me mad money for doing stuff." What's mad money? "A lot of money!" he says bashfully.

Why did he turn it down? "Because I don't need the money and I don't like children working their fingers to the bone for nothing. I like that Jeremy Hardy line: 'My 11-year-old daughter asked me for a pair of trainers the other day. I said, 'Well, you're 11, make 'em yourself.' I want to avoid that shit if at all possible."


from Guardian Unlimited .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Banksy did a great "unpaid" job "adapting" some copies of Paris Hilton's first "album": http://www.frederiksamuel.com/blog/
2006/09/banksy-does-paris.html

I guess he's someone with strong principles, standing up for the causes he believes in.

Di Mackey said...

I like his principles ... :)

They make me smile. The series he created on the illegal Israeli wall are delicious.

Mark J said...

Had to blog on this - thanks for the heads up Di :)

Di Mackey said...

No worries ... he's simply too cool not to pass on.

I'm off out with my camera - you taking yours to work on the morrow?