Friday, October 13, 2006

Pam's photographs from the Antwerpen supermarket

Pam posted a link to these photographs over on her write-up about Antwerpen but I felt they needed a post all of their own ... they really need to be seen to be believed.

I was only carrying my telephoto lense meanwhile she had wisely put on a better lens, one that could be relied upon in the meat section of our exotic supermarket.

Yes really ... the uterus sign is the real thing.

So, the translations:
Uterus is uterus
Varken long = pork lung
Runds long = cow lung
Dikke darm = bowel
Pens = tripe (that's stomach lining isn't it? My grandparents tortured me with it when I was a child.)

And then there were the Jonge Patrijzen ... Young Partridge I presume.
The feet and feathers are a nice touch.

Click on the photograph if you want a bigger image to examine.

3 comments:

Belle said...

UMM partridge. I've cooked wild ones. In my opinion they are delish!

Thanks for the culture.

Di Mackey said...

I loved my one partridge too but the feathers and feet just seemed so wrong.

It was 'uterus' that almost ended us ... :)

christina said...

Mmmm...tripe. My grandmother was fond of that as well. Horrible stuff.

Uterus?? I don't even want to think about it.