Monday, January 14, 2008

A Snapshot from my Saturday Night


New Year Reception, 2008, originally uploaded by - di.

Saturday night and I was attending the Nieuw Jaar Receptie of Open VLD Greater Antwerp.

It was lovely catching up with people not seen since the last reception but I was also there as photographer, looking for a few people shots for a new magazine the liberal democrats are putting together.

And this was one of my favourite images from the evening - Koen Helsen, Province Alderman.



Note: Yes Peter and Manic, I got the name wrong. Both guys were at the event but Gert didn't check my work and I don't 'know' either of them, writes the smiling blogger.

6 comments:

A said...

Let me make a bold political statement (I'm sure Dirk Van Mechelen recalls this one):

"no comment" :-)

Di Mackey said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, wablief???

I asked my Belgian encyclopediabut he didn't know this one.

A said...

Well, when Dirk Van Mechelen was pushed by a journalist on an issue he ignored the question.

Nothing special (happens every day), as many reporters are often pushy and ministers frequently prefer not to answer all questions from the (passing) press.

On a positive note: Flanders has a budget written in black ink - as far as I know there is currently an excess of receipts over expenditures :-)

Di Mackey said...

I had to smile when I read that. I'm sure that when I left NZ, it was still trial by media for politicians. Not much got past our journalists, or so it seemed. I remember my first social orientation teacher being surprised that that might happen.

Yay to Flanders budget being in black ink ... but oh wait, didn't the government that achieved that get voted out or am I wrong?

Anonymous said...

Get your butt back into social orientation, missy.

The government that was ousted was the federal government, you know, the one with the deficit. The Flemish government has been elected since, I have no idea when, but will be up for election in 2009. Flemish government consits of CD&V/NVA, Open VLD and SP.a/Spirit. Flemish government has things to say about education, roads, airports, harbours, and lots of other things I don't know.

Di Mackey said...

Lol, I have class tomorrow - I will be saved.

Gert had trouble with my social orientation homework ... what kind of Belgian is he????? ;)