Saturday, January 19, 2008

Market Day and a rainy day in the city

Apparently the wind is coming from Africa, that's why its warmer here today. Warm with a light drizzle that gently covers you when you go out and I realised, remembered and smiled ... this is 'my' weather. It's the weather I know best from growing up on the east coast of New Zealand's South Island.

I remember back in Mecidiyekoy in Istanbul, the days when it rained like this were the days when the people who recognised me, called to me smiling.

It's always been my weather, I come alive.

We caught the tram to the foreigners market this morning and I delighted in finding big parsnips and big red kumara to roast in oil with onions and potatoes and carrots tonight. Then distracted by healthy green spring onions we bought mushrooms too, Persian chicken is on the menu too now.

Apples for kindergarten and this delicious big bread from the speciality bread man, with two freshly-baked speculoos.

I came home to a desk that is becoming cosy, with the whisper of a huge 'dive into and swim across an unknown ocean' kind of project glimmering on the horizon. A faint glimmer, so no details for now.

A good day here in the flatlands ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You like rain? :O Who likes rain? Rain is wet, rain is cold, rain is rain. Only good to go down a drain.

Overseas project. You got me intrigued. Come'n, you know we don't have patience. :D

Di Mackey said...

Well if you grew up where I grew up and if you spent some time living in Fiordland, it's best to like rain.

Nah, the project might not even happen so I'll wait so I don't jinx it. You know my job interview in Brussels got moved to next week ... no more telling all until it's a given ;)

C. said...

Kumura??! Do explain! Sounds delicious!!!

Di Mackey said...

Lol, kumara is the Maori name for sweet potato ... orange inside and red skin on the outside. Very nice roasted.

I didn't imagine they grew outside of New Zealand ... there you go eh.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is what I call integration!
Take care and see you soon!
Lut

Di Mackey said...

Integration lol, yes but leading my Vlaamse man into the delights of New Zealand cooking - he had pavlova for dessert ...

See you next weekend.