Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Harrison's Flowers, a movie

I ended up watching the movie quite by chance tonight ...

Harrison's Flowers was written about in this way: As someone who had lived through this war [I live in Osijek, town frequently mentioned in the movie, only 30 kilometers from Vukovar] and have seen the atrocities first hand, I'll start by commenting the realistic value. To my surprise, the Harrison flowers turned out to be very accurate in portraying what it was like. The details, such as locations, army uniforms and equipment, names, places, scenes and the geographic and historic facts, are pretty much all spot-on true. There are few barely noticeable mistakes, but it'd be nitpicking on my behalf even mentioning them. So, to anyone interested in seeing what the end 20th centuries warfare really looks like, I highly recommend it. It's miles ahead of Holywoods cheezy Rambo-style war movies and by it's ruthless realism it really is a visual kick in the gut.

... Those interested in seeing the insanity of the eastern-Europe 1991. war conflict, the cruelty and danger of modern photojournalism - I can hardly think of anything better than this.


I remember watching this war on television, and like so many New Zealanders so far from the war, we couldn't understand why Europe didn't protect anyone ...

No comments: