Monday, February 13, 2006

World Press Photo Winners 2006

The photographs are stunning; sometimes shocking.
World Press began with a competition, and the competition is still at the core of the foundation's activities. Held annually, it creates an overview of how press photographers tackle their work worldwide. It is the only international event of this stature, not simply bringing together pictures from all parts of the globe but also reflecting trends and developments in photojournalism, and revealing how the press gives us the news.

6 comments:

Alison said...

Saw this in Amsterdam and it was incredible

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Awesome picture, and the site sounds quite interesting.

Happy Valentine's Day to you in Belgium!

Di Mackey said...

I'd love to have seen the exhibition ... I saw Magnum back in NZ a few years ago and was stunned by it ...

euro-trac, I looked at that diver pic then looked again, horrified.

Happy Valentine's back to you Barbara!

Mozza said...

A friend went to Kabul and had described to me the pool where kids are playing soccer/football. I showed him the picture and now he's pissed he hasn't taken the picture himself!

Does anybody remember this male diver who hit his head on the side of the _pool_ a few years ago? I still have the sound of it very clear in my head. He didn't get hurt too bad at least.

Unknown said...

Awesome photos!

And:

Happy Valentines to you Belgian Kiwi!

Di Mackey said...

Hey trac, I appreciate that ;)

Mozza, that's who I thought of too ... Greg Louganis. Imagine missing a shot like the pool shop ... a New Zealander might call him a plonker.

Happy Valentines Mr Doberman, and to everyone else too.