Sunday, February 19, 2006

Someone in Australia has gone to the trouble of creating a false hotmail account using my name and in a moment of inspired nastiness, has begun posting messages supposedly 'from me' on the blogsites of people I respect and admire.

The IP address gives away their location and I hope that anyone who received a nasty message from me, realised it wasn't in keeping with the way that I treat people.

I started my blog as a way of staying in touch with family and friends back in New Zealand and Turkey with news and photographs ... instead of writing to everyone, they could come read when they felt like it.

Over time, my blog evolved to what you find here today. I have a Favourites list that is hopelessly overloaded and so I began exploring it and posting small items about people like the photographers and other items I'd collected.

I tried deleting those sites on my links list that I couldn't contact by email because whoever was doing this was using that list however ...

I don't feel comfortable with continuing to blog at the moment ... I have enough in my 'real life' in these days without worrying about why someone would want to waste time with this type of campaign.

Anonymous in Australia, I imagine this makes you feel proud...

11 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Thank you, that was incredibly kind.

shashikiran said...

Ignore them. There is tremendous character in your blog. Do not stop anything, for it would be a big disappointment for all the creative people you have brought together through your efforts.

Mozza said...

Do not worry too much about it. You have the support of your readers.

Anonymous said...

Please don't give in , your blog is a joy to read.

Anonymous said...

Yes - stick with it - it is a great blog!

Harvey Molloy said...

Do not give in! I would post messages to the blogs concerned saying that someone has posted under your name. I'm aloso wondering how you're finding the Tuwhare biography which I haven't read.

Anonymous said...

I agree - Don't give up your blog is fabulous. (incidently I posted a comment earlier and it vanished!)

Unknown said...

It's sad people find entertainment in this but I'd agree, you are giving in if you stop blogging!

By the way, I love your blog even if it is my first time visiting.

Anonymous said...

Must be some wanker with no girlfriend and a bunch of time. Christ, is this how people get off nowadays. Don't worry about it darlin', anyone who you know would know better than to think it was you. I mean we all know you can be MOCKING, and you have a certain style to that, much like a fingerprint. If I got an email from this douche I would definately be able to tell it wasn't you because it would be lacking the mocking of highly personal info that only you would know. He'll get bored and stop, but only if you ignore him...
-Jason

Di Mackey said...

Thank you for what you all took the time to write here, it was kind.

The action from Australia affected me more than it normally would have probably because other things are going slightly wrong in life at the moment.

The blog is something that I do for pleasure, so I'll keep writing it and enjoy being a part of this rather special online community.

Harvey ... the Hone Tuwhare book is the one by Janet Hunt http://www.bookcouncil.org.nz/writers/huntj.html I found it in a fantastic secondhand bookshop back in NZ a few years ago, it was published 1998.

Anonymous said...

dı,

thank god you posted my opinion from before, I was worried I was going to have to mention chocolate sause and various contortions in my next email to you if you refused.

eagerly awaiting my props and link on your blog before it becomes old news, I don't send something unless it's fresh and hip - and frankly you're cramping my style.

ps I figured out a(n obvious) way to have the house listed on my site and have fun, but I must wait until time is available.