Friday, February 17, 2006

James Nachtwey


James Nachtwey is an incredible photographer, one who seems to be driven by his desire to witness and record reality. He wrote, "I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

Further researching led me to a photo agency he and six others began back in September 2001, called VII Photo Agency. If you are interested in the world and its news, if you love photography and are curious about people, then this site is worth wandering through.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a documentary on his life , which is very good and demonstrates the special powers of this exceptional photographer.
Judy (the belgo-canadian)
PS en ja 'de en het' is heel moeilijk, ik kan het nog altijd niet perfect ;-)

Di Mackey said...

Hi Judy

Thank you for the information - I already have the movie and was stunned by him. He seemed an impressive kind of person, with a certainty about his work in the world.

'De en het' ... dank u :)

Anonymous said...

Di-

Thanks so much for sharing this! The Nachtwey photo is very moving.
I have been browsing through the VII photo agency's site, and am in love with what I see.

MsB

Di Mackey said...

Hi Ms Baker ... I love Nachtwey's work, and as Judy mentioned, there's a documentary out about him. It's superb if you're curious about what motivates him etc ... I went searching and found it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C825I/104-6910255-7075169?v=glance&n=130