Thursday, February 02, 2006

Peanut Butter and Me ...

I've got something going with Belgian peanut butter ... I just broke my 3rd jar in 4 months.

I've never had any problems with peanut butter before; not in New Zealand, not in Turkey but here it's become a bit of a joke, kind of ...

It comes in a short squat glass jar and usually, having tested this somewhat extensively, when it's dropped on the floor the glass shatters. Today, as a variation, it landed on its plastic lid ... which shattered.

Actually, there was a 4th jar, dropped as I was lifting it off the table. It survived intact but landed on the side of a plate and took a big piece out of that.

"Hey Gert, guess what I did today ..."

Hmmmmm, and then there's the dinner set. I've pretty much chipped every plate in the 'made in Portugal' set. Not deliberately. I suggested that perhaps I am suffering from princess syndrome; a rare condition contracted by those who were princesses in a previous life and came through to this one without servants.

Or perhaps my clumsy bear paws don't work so well ...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never got into peanutbutter. I don't hate it, it's ok, but I really don't have a crave for it. Funny.

But I'm good in breaking the olive jars. The ones I eat are in this long and thin glass jar that hits tables all the time and that stuff is all over.. :(

Photography said...

love reading it. thanks

Sal DeTraglia said...

Lady Di:

I've heard the term "butter fingers." But "peanut butter fingers?!" I would've thought it was the opposite problem. Pick up the jar, and can't unstick it from your hand.

A *glass* peanut butter jar? How quaint! In the US, they're made of plastic. Flexible plastic.

But glass? Wow! That's harkens back to the age of steel beer cans and wooden teeth.

But the bigger issue is that you, at least, have peanut butter to callously waste. I'm having a hell of of time find any (even the cheap, lousy stuff) here in Spain. I've heard rumors of a quasi-available local brand called "Captain America Peanut Butter" but, much like the mythical Sasquatch, have yet to see it in the flesh.

I really love peanut butter.

Things got so bad last week that a family of Evangelical missionaries from the US gave me a jar of Super Chunky JIF from their personal in-home inventory. And no...I'm NOT making that up. I had some for breakfast on toast this morning.

Sal

Di Mackey said...

Hey doberman, thank you ... I was feeling kind of foolish ... your olive jar clumsiness was reassuring.

Thanks Jeff and Jeff. You are kind.

And Sal ... would like peanut butter sent over? I remember being so grateful the time a friend sent me milo, and then there was the time vegemite was gifted to me.

Wooden teeth??? I'd never heard of wooden teeth before.

But taking peanut butter from Evangelical missionaries ... wow, that's kind of bad. I've never done anything like that.

Anonymous said...

...and what's wrong with my name??

sonoftheprodigal said...

we have plenty of peanut butter in the philippines. i think it's one of the breakfast staple here. you can still see people hawking peanut butter in the street or if you are squeamish, you can buy one (yes "bottled" sal)from the supermarket.

wandering woman, you got a lovely site here. be coming back for more.

Di Mackey said...

Steve the tumble dryer ... welllllll I guess I was just thinking 'steve' was too 'everyday' for you.

Clearly, King Steve of the Tumble Dryers would be more in line with your level of intelligence, as evidenced by both your question and your presence here in my comments box.

All hail King Steve ...

Anonymous said...

Hey... don't forget me! I'm quite cool too! :-)

Di Mackey said...

Hey euro-trac ... I did appreciate your kind offer to drink with me. I shall need to, less because of 'Salivator', more because kitchen appliances seem to be stalking my comments box ...