Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Saga of the HP Pavilion Laptop. Part 7039

So you know the story, my laptop is part of an American extended warranty return for repair due to a fault on the motherboard ...

They won't pay for shipping but will completely refit my laptop if I can get it back to the States, acknowledging that a black screen and no wifi equals no laptop.

Shipping looks like costing a minimum of 200euro and the laptop will be gone about a month.

The PC repair shop here said a new motherboard was way too expensive for them to repair.

I'm leaving on a 17 day working and wandering trip to Italy on Friday and my laptop is vital - photographs, writing and launching the new website.

Dell couldn't get a new laptop to me any faster than 10 working days.

So ... today I took my note and headed off to Makro, a wholesale shop here for business owners and etc.

I came home with a new Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2735 for 499euro.
It has an Intel graphics media accelerator X3100, a dual core processor T2390 and 3GB and 250 GB of hard drive. (If you know anything bad about this model, please don't tell me, I prefer blissful ignorance for now.)

Most importantly, in light of the recent tragedy ... it has a 2 year guarantee, with a phone number you call when things go wrong. The phone number is the pick up and delivery service.

Anyone heading to the States from Belgium or Holland anytime soon?
I have a laptop that would surely love a ride back to the mother-ship.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you and your laptop. Buying in another country is always annoying :( Hoep all works out

The Littons said...

Oh no! Not the Fujitsu!?
(Kidding)

Di Mackey said...

Yes, me and my laptop. I think it's working out ... new laptop being loaded tonight :)

Hah ... Simon.

furiousBall said...

you know Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li is actually Japanese for their angry Kiwi

Di Mackey said...

Hah, fluent in Japanese I see Van ;)

Anonymous said...

A wise choice Di: the specs are just fine and the Fujitsu Siemens laptop brand has a solid reputation in Europe.

Since my laptop died just after the 2y warranty period I'm not yet sure which new model to pick, I do know that this PC-with-a-cord is starting to annoy me.

Enjoy Italy!

Di Mackey said...

Dank u wel, schat! You did make me smile with your news.

And I'll postcard you from Italy so you'll know asap xo