Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yesterday ...

It occurred to me to check out the wifi possibilities here at the exhibition ... just in case and voila, here I am.

I have 6 hours of exhibition-minding in front of me, a ton of work and the desire to surface and escape into the internet occasionally.

I'm sitting in the rather magnificent reception area of this district house built back in the 1870s. The artworks are all around me. I took this photograph yesterday, just before my flash died on me. I was hoping to capture a sense of the atmosphere here.

There's a beautiful glass roof directly above me and columns support the arched brick ceiling around the edges of this rather grand space. Old masters hang on the walls behind the work of the young pups that we are surely considered to be if any old ghosts still linger here.

Yesterday was one of those magical days that come along every now and again, the grand finale was succeeding in luring Martin out of the Belgian countryside and into the city for a small kiwi gathering last night.

Small being our guest Paul, Martin and myself, and including my 2 kiwis and honorary New Zealanders, Gert and his children. We served a traditional Belgian dinner with stoofvlees, whitloof and fries, relaxing with a selection of Belgian beers, a white wine and that was me, with the red and yes, those were kiwis sitting out on the balcony under the sun umbrella as the heavens opened.

There's too much to tell from my yesterday but a small taste is probably more than enough ...

7 comments:

The Littons said...

Exhibition minding? Do you all have to take turns sitting there making sure no-one steals the art?

Di Mackey said...

Excuse a small grouchy moment but yes, some of us are exhibition minding ... to answer questions
maybe, or if someone wants to buy art. But none of those making big possible sales with huge prices on their art are doing the minding ... and after a 6 hour stint there, I'm feeling kind of jaundiced about the whole thing.

Sigh, shouldn't have had the red wine and such a good time last night, eh wot.

gary rith said...

WHOA! Great shot from above!

Pam said...

When I read about your growing success I feel my heart leap, just a little bit. I'm so happy that you have so much good stuff going on.

And yes, gallery sitting is an INCREDIBLE BORE. Done it. Lots. Always want it to be over.

Di Mackey said...

Hey, thank you Mr Fabulous Potter. Your work continues to astound me, Gary.

Thanks Pam. I felt kind of mean but it was terrible sitting there after 3 hours. I lost my wifi connection around lunch time but found a power source for the computer and could work on photographs. A longggg day.

Anonymous said...

The whole exhibition looks quite different from above Di - and what a stunning difference compared to my snowy night shots ;-)

Di Mackey said...

Silly :) it looks quite different because it was daytime, Peter - although not enough light to avoid using the flash.