Thursday, September 04, 2008

Maybe if I fill my big red coffee cup with red wine ...


my red french mug, originally uploaded by - di.

The day before the exhibition opening and the stress is only growing. I didn't expect this.

I've tried jollying myself out of it.
I went back to bed this morning but that got weird very fast. I dreamed this old man was giving me a pedicure and kissed my foot before polishing my toenails to look natural and beautiful.

He wandered off for a smoke break and thinking the whole thing a little bit odd, I went inside, finding myself in an elevator that was taking me all over what was seemed like my first Istanbul apartment building. I was meeting and talking with everyone.

Then I was on a metro in the Brussels underground in bare feet ...

I was horrified, as I don't do my New Zealand life barefoot thing since arriving on this northern side of the hemisphere. I woke incredibly relieved not to be out there trying to get back through the city without shoes.

I just photographed my face, checking to see if it looked as concrete and puffy as it feels but it doesn't ... it just feels stiff and puffy.

I tried sleeping again this afternoon, ignoring all the photographs I promised myself I would work on but lay awake, staring at the ceiling. I couldn't even pick up my Cees Nooteboom book.

It seems that there could be a bit of stress involved in putting a selection of your work out there for viewing and judgement by the general public.

Who knew ...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the exhibition, Di. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Warm wishes,

Carolien

furiousBall said...

if you fill the big red coffee cup up with wine, i won't judge... as long as you share

Di Mackey said...

Thank you, Carolien. Fingers crossed :)

Well Van, you did it ... you made me laugh. You're a good man and I'll share, I usually share my wine :)

gary rith said...

oh yes, BEST WISHES!

Di Mackey said...

Ahhh yes, you'll know all about this, Gary. Thank you, your best wishes made me smile too.

Jule's Short Story said...

You are a very talented photographer so your exhibition will be fantastic. Wish I was there to help you to celebrate your success cuz. Kia kaha!

Anonymous said...

If I was there with you I would fill your glass with some Gato Negro. I wish I was there instead of sending you well wishes.

Anonymous said...

Di, you know it's going to be wonderful. Everyone will love your work. Can't wait to hear all about it. Hopefully as I write this 5:15 am in Brussels you are resting and preparing for your big day. Take a deep breath and know it will be okay. More than okay.

Di Mackey said...

Thanks Julie.

And Shannon ... we have to have a party sometime in October or November!!! In France we found the Gato Negro in a Box!

And RD, thank you too. Last night I fell into bed early and slept until the alarm. Today feels like a better day ... let's see how it goes.

Anonymous said...

How did it go??!!

Di Mackey said...

Oh Niamh, it was fantabulous!