Friday, September 05, 2008

Food for Thought

Glucose is converted by the body from carbohydrates and is supplied to the brain via the bloodstream. The brain cannot make glucose and so needs a constant supply. Brain cells need twice as much energy as other cells in the body.

I think all the time. I'm not claiming that it is top quality thought but it's just me and I'm slowly becoming used to my mind and the fact that it rarely let's me just 'be'. But this need to eat due to thinking always seemed a ridiculous excuse, even to my ears.

However I was reading the news before breakfast this morning and found this article that claims exactly that...

Blood samples taken before, during, and after revealed that intellectual work causes much bigger fluctuations in glucose levels than rest periods, perhaps owing to the stress of thinking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking also causes wrinkles! :P

Maybe more girls will start seeing thinking as a way to get the kilos off. Wouldn't this planet be much better off? :P

Di Mackey said...

I was a little gloomy but reading your comment made me laugh.

You are incorrigible, Meneer Manic.

Actually, it would be so much easier to be satisfied as a housewife and mother ... maybe you're on to something.

Kay Cooke said...

Hoping the exhibition goes well Di. Hope you get a good sleep - as a worrier and a erstwhile insomniac of old, I KNOW how much a good night's sleep helps.

Di Mackey said...

Thank you, Kay. Your comment did make me smile when I found it :)