Monday, September 01, 2008

Cees Nooteboom - writer, traveler, poet

Once, when I had no way of knowing what I now know, I chose movement, and later on, when I understood more, I realised I would be able, within this movement, to find the silence necessary in order to write; that movement and silence are balanced in a union of opposites.
Cees Nooteboom, from Nomad's Hotel

I had been looking for Cees work for a while and was delighted to find Nomad's Hotel at De Slegte's secondhand bookshop today.

A.S.Byatt wrote of him: Nooteboom shares his view of the world, showing us the strangeness in places we thought we knew and the familiarity of places most of us will probably never see for ourselves.

I do believe this will be a delicious read.

5 comments:

furiousBall said...

interesting, i'm always looking for new authors, let me know how you like it

Di Mackey said...

Okay, Van.

I'll be posting some more quotes from, I was marking pages on the train to and from work today.

Kay Cooke said...

Prasie from Byatt is praise indeed!
All the best for your exhibition - hope you have got over the shakes - you must believe that you will wow them all and enjoy every moment!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reference. Went to Amazon, ordered for it. But I look forward to your views on it.

Di Mackey said...

I loved Byatt's 'Possession' and after reading a few pages from Nooteboom, I had to dig through my failed budget and find the 17.50euro ... gah!

Thanks Kay, we spent 5 hours organising the space this morning, then hanging the photographs, then re-arranging them 'just so' ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope you enjoy Cees, Shashikiran. I'm almost 100% certain you will.