Wednesday, May 02, 2007

So I am quite possibly the only mono-lingual person in Flanders ... sigh.

I was interviewed by Katherine and filmed by Geert and it wasn't so bad, probably because there was no sense of there being an audience beyond the two of them.

My stepdaughter was also interviewed ... her English is getting stronger and stronger the more time she spends with me, to the point where she has become a more than adequate translator for her younger brother and I.

She told them about the way I say 'sneeuw' ... oh the shame of it. Some things are best kept private but never-the-mind, everyone laughed.

It was okay I think although I guess that depends on how they edit and what they translate my words as ... I asked them to be gentle with me.

Sahara was the star of the show, charming everyone with her wild Antipodean ways ... she even had Katherine out on the balcony playing swingball with her.

Note: if you are ever to be filmed talking over dinner, don't cook stoofvlees, rice and beans ... so so difficult to eat in a tidy way.

Tot ziens.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must get a hold of that footage. Tape it! So that all your guests can see your stardom.

Di Mackey said...

Manic, do you know that you, more than anyone, makes me laugh most often when I read your comments.

I have the date of the show and I asked for a dvd copy of it ... more for little Miss Two and the kids than for me. I'm sure I shall be quite ... sigh, quite disappointedly mono-lingual.

Anonymous said...

Ohh Di everyone is special in some way. Maybe languages aren't your thing, that's fine, but pictures you do great. Stop worrying about it, you have always succeed in being understood and have always been able to make friends from Old to New Zealand, from Turkey to Antwerp. You have nothing to feel sorry for, you are who you are and you do what you do best. You can't be more Di than the Di you are now.
Normally this comment shouldn't make you laugh the most, but this was a one acter, I'm more a funny guy than a serious one.

paris parfait said...

Yes, please do get a DVD of the interview. I'm sure you did quite well - being interviewed at all was remarkable, considering the state of your health. Will respond to your email tom'w - am watching the French presidential debate (thankfully, there's an English translation, as my French isn't up to the rapidity of the debate).

Di Mackey said...

Oh Manic, you are sweet. Dank u wel but it's only right I should be ashamed of Nederlands spreek, although I guess I do make a lot of Belgians laugh when I attempt it ;)

But thank you anyway, your comment did make me smile in a good way.

Tara, please post the details of the debate. I'm so curious, so involved for someone who has no reason to be involved.

The dvd, mmmm it's really for the kids - I'm not sure I want to view me but yes, it went quite well despite the disaster occuring in my larynx.

awomynda said...

Hee hee hee hee hee (for the Note).
When !!!!?? (to book my couch)

Di Mackey said...

Ahhh when?
Well ATV May 16 is what I was told ... 6.20pm.

I'm not sure I'll look ...

christina said...

Well how WOULD one say "sneeuw"? I'd have no idea at all. :-)

Di Mackey said...

Hah, it's all in the movement of the nose, Christina ... it needs to be wrinkled. I'll show you when we catch up ;)