Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A little of this and a little of that.

I've been a little storm-tossed lately, with this feeling of living from experience to experience and sinking into the silences in-between times.

I didn't quite get round to writing up the Galata Mevlevi Ensemble performance we attended before heading away to Honfleur ... which Tara tells me is actually pronounced 'Onfleur', more or less.

The whirling dervish were superb and it was nice to be back on the edge of that Turkish world.

There was the run-away tram I mentioned back here. That was a Friday night thing ... a few strangers, me included, climbed onto the back carriage of a two-carriage tram. It had the right number on it however ... the front carriage must have been telling another story.

I noticed the tram turn right in a place I didn't expect but thought that perhaps it was a new piece of line. The first couple leapt off at the stop just before we entered the underground ... that would be the underground route this tram doesn't usually take. I phoned my emergency locator beacon and Gert told me that it must have had something else on the front, as another passenger leapt off the tram at the next stop.

I had Gert's brother waiting for me in the city and needed to know how to get back on track, being so far off-track and all that. So, Gert talked me through it only to learn that the right tram wasn't coming along for quite some time...

Gert said 'A taxi!
I said, 'A taxi?'
They are so very expensive here and often manage to get extra money out of me. They have this mysterious inability to produce any coins required and I get so exasperated that I leave the taxi guy with his loot.

And so I arrived and Afrika Afrika was worth all the trouble.

Then there was dinner with Marc and Louisa on Saturday. Marc was a chef and is now a rather superb cutting edge panoramic photographer. He served much champagne and white wine with his stunning dishes - most particularly this mussel quiche that was just so exquisite it defies description.

Today is about new business cards, work things and trying to get ready for Rome.

How's things in your world?

6 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Things are very good, thanks, always love visiting your world here DI!

Di Mackey said...

I'm glad they are very good for you, Gary Rith. I do enjoy wandering into your world. It seems like a delicious one.

Nihal said...

Oh things in my world "great", Di. I'm so grateful that you ask this to us.
One fact is that my heart smiles so big when/if I hear a few glitters about us -like whirling dervish:)

Believe this, the world is amazing both in reality and here on this digital one.

Maybe you'll be surprised, I still wait for the most appropriate minute to Galata. Prince Charles and many other VIP's come and go, amazed but being an Istanbulian, yes a shame:( My work sometimes blockes me from living as I wish.

Loving to catch up your magic world, rock on~

Di Mackey said...

Oh Nihal, you must make time for Galata's dervishes one day. Maybe a warm summer's day. I've been twice and loved it both times.

I'm glad things are great in your world :)

paris parfait said...

Had to smile at the "emergency locator beacon." Really, he is a wealth of helpful information, isn't he? Sounds like a marvelous meal on Saturday. Good luck getting everything ready for Rome! xo

Di Mackey said...

I was worried everyone thought I was serious about my 'emergency locator beacon' ... but really, he is.

I'm washing clothes as I write, Tara ... it was a terrible time for the clothes dryer to break and I realised I packed badly for Paris. So far, so good, although once again, I'm working on the day before leaving.