Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Details...


from, Castel Sant' Angelo, Rome, originally uploaded by - di.

Today is about unpacking and re-orientating myself. I had photographs on memory cards, on an external storage device and on my little travel laptop.

It's been an odd 12 hours already.

The plane landed in Brussels last night and they couldn't get the electricity supply connected. We were stranded on the plane for more than a few minutes while they organised that ... in darkness. I could feel the air running out, I think we all could, as the plane was one of those little ones and jammed full of people.

I arrived home eventually, the bus runs hourly, and I fell into bed.

This morning I discovered the water was off when I turned on the washing machine ... But that's not all, going out I learned the elevator was out too. Life on the top floor is grand, except for those moments when it's less grand and involves more than one hundred stairs.

Apparently the pipe in the basement blocked in the night and the ground floor family found the building's sewerage flooding their bathroom.

The elevator ... well that's a mystery, no elevator servicemen met in the foyer when I went out but most people here have been trapped in our elevator at least once so it's nothing new.

Muddling along here ... hope things are good out there.

13 comments:

furiousBall said...

sorry about the home problems! that's a super cool shot, i love bugs

Pat said...

All in all I think I would settle for climbing the stairs and missing the sewerage.

Di Mackey said...

Oh well, they're just small home problems and they're kind of not happening to me, Van. I feel lucky now I've heard the details. Sewerage stream to the ceiling when the chain flushed in the building ...

Yes PI, although we were lucky higher up and the problem was confined to one apartment bathroom. This afternoon the elevator seems repaired and the sewerage under control ... apparently someone had tipped spaghetti and carrots down their toilet and blocked it. Stunningly silly.

Anonymous said...

I love travel, but have to confess that the older I get (and I'm not rickety old!) I don't enjoy the logistics of getting to and from airports. I'm looking forward to the Star Trek teleporter! But always the end results of travel make the pain worth it.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's not a great home coming. But at least the weather is nice :)

paris parfait said...

Sounds like a lot of hassles, all in one day! You must be exhausted! But that image is lovely; can't wait to see more! xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Di,

Glad to hear that you made it back safe and sound! Shame I could not make it down to Rome to roam around photographing all there is to photograph. Another time, I hope.

I wuz up in the mountains, as you know.

Some great images of Rome here! And it is just one Italian city!

All the best from, grey but warm at the moment, Milan.

Alex

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad you are home.. and I remember well the problems with that elevator and taking the luggage even up the few stairs from the top of the elevator!!
Hope you had a great time.. and it sounds as if you did!

Anonymous said...

When I flew in from Florida, I had to take a 60 mile taxi ride through rush hour traffic with a driver from Bangladesh.

I seriously thought I might throw up in the back seat and arrived home completely wrung out, as if I'd walked 60 miles with my suitcase...

Di Mackey said...

I know what you mean, RD. I had to research it in the hours before catching the train, for example, and walk the million miles that you have to walk in Rome's Termini Railway Station, if you want to catch the airport express. But the results ... they are so worth every moment of discomfort.

The weather is nice, Manic - stunningly nice. I had all the doors and windows open for most of the day. Everyone is noticing the suntan my face caught in Rome - summer is coming.

I just need to gather myself, Tara. I came home to a really sick Jessie, and Gert's son Marco returned tonight with some horrible 5 day (so far) stomach virus. So if I make a little space in the days ahead, I can get this all onto the new website ... it's just making time :) but you know how my life is. xo

Hi Alex. I loved your photographs and tales from the mountains of Italy though ... lovely work and if we don't hook up in Rome for a photography outing then there's always the next time I'm in Genova and checking out Milan. Whenever, where ever, it will be fun to catch up anyway.

I'm completely in love with Italy, did you know ... I''m so subtle about this small passion of mine.

And all the best back from here where we had a sunny day but that sunshine has apparently set the scene for a frost in the morning.

That elevator, ML, and still it persists in giving us all problems. I had a lovely time, thank you.

I had to smile, Ms V. This kind of thing sometimes happened in Istanbul but riding horses that occasionally ran away with me when I was a teenager, seemed to prepare me for 'interesting' city taxi rides. I'm glad you made it.

Marianne said...

I love that shot of the detail of the lovely insect.

Catherine said...

What delightful little insects on that sculpture. As always, I love your photographs

Di Mackey said...

Hi Catherine and Frida, thank you! :)