Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Who knew . . .

Leaving your teeth to heal on their own doesn't work out.
Nonono!

In fact, it's as Erin said 'The problems only get worse.'

Still, I was hoping I had some kind of deal with the universe, one that gave me a get out of jail free card when it came to dental work and everything could wait until I was rich enough to fly home AND have my dental work done with the only dentist I've ever trusted.

I had to stop reading Van's blog while he went through his dental ordeal because that was a reality I didn't want to know about ...

I carried on with life, clenching my teeth, occasionally explaining to Gert (when he asked) why I preferred to lie awake worrying about my teeth in the mornings as opposed to dealing with my teeth.

This morning was one of those fretting mornings.
I woke before the alarm and lay there, checking my gums with my tongue, checking the broken tooth, fretting and fretting and fretting some more. I think the psychological vibration of my fretting woke Gert.

Today was the day I knew I HAD TO make a dental appointment.
10am came and went and still the task went undone.

Instead I talked to Jessie as she traveled towards Paris to meet an old school friend, guiding her in the train stations I knew and wishing her luck.

10.30am, I brushed my teeth and OUT POPPED MY FILLING!

I panicked, as is my habit in anything regarding my teeth, then realised I didn't know my dentist's phone number, phoned Gert who didn't answer either call and then shaking, I ran out the door ready to sell a kidney if the dentist could just fit me in.

She was out at the desk between patients when I arrived.
One look at me and she looked both amused and sympathetic.

After offering a kidney, she said she could fit me in in 5minutes ... I think she thought I might just fall over crying if she didn't.

Ummm so yes, tooth temporarily repaired.
6 weeks and she'll fix it for me but the gum has to heal.
Sigh.

She's a photographer too ...

It's been a long morning here.

8 comments:

furiousBall said...

i'm getting crowns done soon, i'll try to warn you so you don't read anything

Di Mackey said...

Thanks Van. I almost needed counseling to get me through what I accidentally read my into on your blog, without realising there were some gruesome details.

Good luck with your crowns, you know my heart goes out to you as those crowns go in.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked her - how was her English? I only spoke Dutch with her, but I know she has a way with languages (and special patients ;-)

Di Mackey said...

Hmmm, this is where I 'fess up, Peter. I tried phoning her in my panic and her line was engaged, so I threw everything into my bag and headed for Gert's one, close by.

I had been a patient of the younger one previously and was going great until she did a root canal, then I lost a lot of confidence. The owner of the practice saw me today and has promised I can be her patient so I'll stay with her.

Thank you though, I did imagine I was changing dentists but when it came down to a panic, I went back to what I knew a little.

Anonymous said...

That's always the best approach Di: stay with a dentist you feel comfortable with.

Di Mackey said...

I was desperate, Peter, beyond thought, and I knew where this dentist was and she was close.

You were lucky I didn't phone you, wailing and wanting a shoulder to truly weep on :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Di! I know you were traumatised beyond reason. If were still in Belgie, I would have taken the train to Antwerp to hold your hand and make you laugh in spite of EVERYTHING. Truly. You were a brave grrrl to face all your phobias.

Di Mackey said...

Lol, I wasn't brave, I was desperate. The filling was floating about in my mouth, attached by a sliver ... eww!

I wouldn't have laughed, I would have just cried.

Dramatic sigh!
Head thrown back, hand on brow.