Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Problem of Desk Space

I am developing a new policy on the sharing of desk space in this Belgo-Kiwi alliance ... when my desk is too full, I move desks ... the territorial boundaries are becoming increasingly blurred as I accidently leave my papers and notes all over Gert's desk.

The problem is beautifully illustrated in a recent series of photographs I took as I tidied my desk ... filing is a problem, as is not having any kind of secreterial assistance. ;)

So I put everything onto the table, as seen above, then tried setting up again ... the order lasted just 24 hours.

And yes, that is an external keyboard on my Toshiba laptop ... one should avoid spilling red wine on keyboards.

Despite having been in process for eight months and experiencing difficulties like ... 'No, your passport isn't enough proof of your nationality. And you now need to provide us with 3 new official documents, yes another birth certificate but with an Apostille this time, which will need translated and verified here ...' I believe I will be allowed to work here one day, and on that incredible day I will buy a new laptop and begin working towards all of those things that I took so forgranted back in those heady days of employment.

5 comments:

Alison said...

just remember... tidy people don't have time to be creative :)

Erin said...

yeh buteven when they are new, you still can't spill red wine on them.

I know, (although it's usually something low brow like diet coke or pineapple juice) I go through them almost as quickly as I go through sunglasses.

LOL at your desk, it's my nightstand that gets that way.

Di Mackey said...

Ahhh ...and this is why we are friends. I giggled when I read your comment, a naughty little gurgle of delight really.

Oh no w-w, the new ones don't withstand it either??! Lol, but I would never drink red wine around my new laptop, and I'm sure that if I think back, there were extenuating circumstances.

Meanwhile, I dream of a more portable laptop ... smaller tougher, more creative than before. I had a lot of ideas as we wandered throught Flanders Fields, and the other morning woke up and outlined a play idea ... not noted down.

I need a new laptop ... wistful sigh.

Erin said...

Ah, the wandering while coming up with ideas makes me want to suggest what a writer pal of mine in Chicago bought - a convertible tablet...she writes, in longhand, or doodles or draws and voila! it appears all typed up pretty in word. I kicked myself for having bought my new boring toshiba before she told me about her cool toy.

Handy for wandering battlefields, I bet...

Di Mackey said...

An odd thing about me w-w, I love typing, god only knows why, I know I was a horrendously rebellious typing teenage student ... but these days I type fast and find it's the mode that I think in.

You should get one though ... a business expense and all that :)