Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Miracle walks ...

Andrea talks of miracle walks over on her blog. She wrote: These are walks you take with no particular destination, in search of beauty, goodness, a little surprise. The amazing thing about them is that just by declaring them a "miracle walk" you always find something special along the way.

In the mood that I've been in these last few days ... that coming-and-going-dark-mood-of-grouchiness since cancelling my flight home ... I held serious doubts about the possibility of this miracle walkthing here in Antwerpen.

I had to go out to Gert's doctor ... paperwork to say he has to stay home some more and while I was out there strangers spoke to me, surprising me with their small kindnesses and I saw one or two beautiful things just because I was looking.

I stopped at a bakery on the way home, giving my order in Nederlands ... asking for een wit brood niet gescheiden en 4 pistolets... mmmm, the 4 pistolets were clear, she pretended not to notice me asking for one white bread not divorced. 'Niet gesneden' for next time.

Anyway ... perhaps it's all about looking beyond the surface of people and place and realising that miracle walks are always a possibility.

6 comments:

Manictastic said...

Niet gescheiden brood. That you don't find alot in Belgium. I read today we are the European country with the highest divorce rate, how weird. So gescheiden brood it is then.

Di Mackey said...

So I did it on purpose, easily confused because divorce and brood are both easy to find? ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello "wandering woman", I just found your blog - interesting to read how it feels for a Kiwi to live in Belgium. I'm a Belgian, but even I think Belgium is a bit weird sometimes... probably because I lived in the US for a couple of years.
Your "gescheiden brood" story is reilly cute!

Erin said...

Lovely post.

And I prefer my bread still married, as well, well said I think. LOL

Di Mackey said...

Hi annelica

I enjoyed your blog too ... clearly I would only be talking of the English section as my Dutch has been outed as completely faulty.

Di Mackey said...

Well ... have you tasted divorced bread w-w? It wasn't bad actually.