Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Kashmir: Missed Chance: Oh, Hello Dalai!

What do you do when one of the world’s pre-eminent religious leaders sits behind you on the plane? Dish on China? Share your iPod? Pretend to levitate? Or maybe, nothing at all?

So begins Kevin Sites latest diary entry ... I couldn't help but smile.

He continues:
Location: The aisle of Jet Air 737 making a stop in Jammu, Kashmir.

You: Bald-headed and bespectacled, wearing an off-the-shoulder scarlet and orange robe, smelling of sandalwood incense and lotus flowers and toting a briefcase with a "Free Tibet" sticker.


Me: Long-haired, bleary-eyed foreign correspondent, wearing a dirty black T-shirt, khaki pants, smelling of last night's curry and toting a look of unrivaled disbelief.


If intrigued, read on here

4 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Thanks for the interesting link- I enjoyed the story! It's like last week when I saw Larry King-- but I didn't freeze- LOL!

jarvenpa said...

Nice link. My dearest friend (from when we were girls of 14) spent some time with the Dalai Lama years and years ago. She has a whole compendium of funny, touching stories. Must send her the link to Kevin's.

David said...

Thanks for the comment at my blog: Furntest. I have been remiss in updating for months, and just today happened to check things.

Yes, I am "the kind of guy who might enjoy this piece of information". I had the opportunity to see him in person on 9-19-06 in Tucson, AZ. It is a day that I will never forget.

If you ever have the chance to see the Dalai Lama or already have) you will then know what I mean.

Thanks for the article link. I have read Kevin's work before, especially in the opening days of Bush War Part Deux.

BTW.... Love e-margaux!!!!

Di Mackey said...

Welcome back traveller one! Larry King and NY sounded kind of grand.

Hi jarvenpa, he sounds like an interesting man, he's in, or just been in Belgium.

Glad it was useful david and I enjoyed your site :)