Thursday, September 07, 2006

Tony Blair, Rupert's probable employee in 2007

I wrote of Tony Blair back in July and now I see it's all over the news as something new.

'I wrote of it' ... I mean, I passed on the Blair news found in The Independent Online 29 July 2006.
The media magnate Rupert Murdoch is expected to offer Tony Blair a senior role in his News Corporation empire when he stands down as Prime Minister.

Allies of Mr Blair insist he has made no decisions about his plans when he leaves Downing Street -- almost certainly next year. But some friends say a seat on the board of News Corp could tempt the outgoing Prime Minister, as it would dovetail neatly with the lucrative United States lecture circuit.

Mr Blair's popularity at home may be waning, but he remains big box office in America. His close relationship with Mr Murdoch will be highlighted tomorrow when he addresses the annual gathering of News Corp's executives and senior journalists from around the world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a former US president who visted the Antwerp Hilton, way back in 2003: Bill Clinton.

Clinton's lucrative lecture tour was heavily scripted (striking that delicate balance between a former head of state and a stand up comedian) and earned him (in addition to a very large amount of cash) a diamand jewel, "A"-shaped (like in Antwerp)

The Antwerp Hilton was packed with rich Jewish diamond traders (who control the Antwerp diamond trade), dignitaries and 'showbiz" wanabees.

Expect Tony Blair to pass along the same lucrative "lecture circuit'.

I'm sure that these kind of career changes convince many people that politicians are "only in it for the power and the cash", and that's kind of sad.

Di Mackey said...

It's depressing ... so very depressing.

paris parfait said...

Well it's pathetic that Rupert Murdoch and his right-wing politics have so much influence on the media and politicans.Tony Blair used to be a good guy, unil he started following Bush around like a puppy dog. I've now lost all respect for Blair and I've never had any for Murdoch - or Bush.

Di Mackey said...

Oh I know paris parfait ... I used to like Blair too but I despise all the Murdoch and Bush stand for so this latest news is disappointing beyond words.