Sunday, September 10, 2006

A grand day out ...

I don't want to bore you but ... you know those sublime days when you're just deeply happy about being alive?

I just had one of those days ... yes another sublime day but really, it was so much better than I could have imagined it might be when I got up this morning.

I went through my beach photographs from yesterday and simply LOVED some of them and then put away 'happy things' and went off to take some photographs of Belgian politicians as a favour.

I had to catch the tram that goes under the river ...

Going under the river is something I've avoided since coming here. Maybe it's a throwover from growing up in a land where earthquakes are common, maybe I'm claustrophobic but catching a tram under a river that is deep enough to have a big cruise liner dock in the city, isn't my idea of a good time.

But the trip was fine and nothing catastrophic happened (imagine that). I found our meeting place easily. Gert has worked out how to direct me so that I arrive in these new places I've never been before.

Another day of bright sunshine meant that lining up 9 politicians, the Kathedral and a church way off to the left wasn't simple however I think it is done.

Amongst the group of bystanders was an interesting woman who had made many visits to Australia. She felt that I should use the foot tunnel under the river ... I wasn't convinced but I knew I wouldn't respect myself if I avoided it.

Well ... it was really quite marvellous. I took photographs too. I'll research it and post them because it opened around 1932, making it interesting in terms of world war two.

I came above ground at the Sunday antiques market and took photographs of interesting people and then strolled over to Het Elfde Gebod, my favourite pub here. I ordered a red wine, pulled out my book and read in the sun for a while.

THEN, as if all the rest wasn't enough, I walked to the tram via Conscience Plein and heard a band. A wonderful band and they sounded like New Zealanders or Australians while singing however 100 photographs later, when I asked if they'd like copies I learned that they are an Antwerpen group ... with one Finn and a dog.

They were delicious and I'll post some of the photographs with news of their next gig here in Antwerpen.

It was a grand day out ...

No comments: