Monday, September 04, 2006

Steve Irwin, Naturalist

I imagine most people know that Steve Irwin, the Australian naturalist and television star was killed by a Stingray in Australian waters on Monday but here's a link to the story on ABC .

World famous wildlife warrior Steve Irwin has died in a freak accident on the Great Barrier Reef, killed by a stingray barb which pierced his chest.

Friends believe the Crocodile Hunter, 44, may have died instantly when struck by the stingray while filming a sequence for his eight-year-old daughter Bindi's new TV series.


In talking of himself and his impact back home he said, ... "When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe? Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss his 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty' He seemed to have been a very nice and caring man. I used to love to watch his smile and his sense of wonder when he was with animals.

Di Mackey said...

I imagine he'll become a bit of a national treasure now ... in a way that he wasn't when he was alive.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be insensitive but this somehow doesn't surprise me. I will miss his humor. He was a lot of fun to watch.

Di Mackey said...

Hi Lisa. It didn't seem insensitive, his life seemed to revolve around potentially dangerous animals ... I think maybe people were more surprised that he was doing so well in surviving.

It seems his death was a complete accident in that he wasn't doing anything with the stingray ...

christina said...

Such a shame, isn't it? - he always impressed me with his drive and energy.

Di Mackey said...

Christina ... you're back!! :) I;ve been wandering by, waiting for your 'back home' posting to resume.

And yes, it is a shame about Steve. He was larger than life.

Mark J said...

I heard that in "The Austrailian" newspaper a cartoonist has posted a picture of Steve arriving at the Pearly Gates with a croc under one arm and a snake in the other. The caption has St Peter saying "Where've you been?"
Indicative of Steve's humour - I'm sure he'd be the first to laugh. He'll be missed by all the kids (and big kids) who watch his wildlife programs.

paris parfait said...

He was a true original! Sad he died so tragically, too young.