Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A little more on Vegemite

Lisa asked what Vegemite tasted like and I thought a while and came up with savoury, salty and yeasty ...

It's difficult to actually pull it out of my childhood and try and describe something that's been a part of my life forever.

I picked up my jar and read the label, then recalled Gert, Diede, Jason, Kagan and many other foreigners recoiling in horror after reading the ingredients list.

Yes ... so anyway, Vegemite contains:
yeast extract
salt
potassium
chloride
malt extract
colour (E150d)
Also contains: preservatives (sulphur dioxide), vegetable extract (onion), niacin, thiamine, riboglavin and folic acid.

You're so tempted, aren't you ...

You can read all about it here , and I mean ALL.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read ALL about it, but I still don't know what it is. I do have to taste it sometime. It can't be too bad if a nation or two are having it with a smile! ;)

Di Mackey said...

Email me your address and I'll post you a jar ... on the understanding that none is wasted.

Actually, it's great in gravy and ummmm ... well there are recipes on the Vegemite site :)

Anonymous said...

Sort of tempted, yes. Truthfully, it sounds like it would taste like solidified beer, which would be just fine with me. :D