Sunday, November 16, 2008

In Bruges, a movie


I just finished watching the movie In Bruges , amidst many head-shaking 'did they really just say that?' moments and guilty little episodes of laughter.

Van, I think you need to see this movie.
I think you will like it. You too, Mark. Actually, maybe you should wait till you come over in 2009, I'll get some Australian red and we can kick back and watch it.

I'm not sure what Gert will think of it ... but me, well I'm still giggling trying to write something serious and completely failing to do more than smile.

If you liked Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels well, you'll like this.

If you have a wee bit of a thing about Bruges, as in you love it ... I'm not so sure this is for you however ... in the movies defense, the mayor of Bruges did have a part in it so it's not really that bad.

Oh, and there's more bad language than I've ever heard seen in a movie, although that could be more about the kind of movies I normally watch.

I think that's all I have to say.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I loved that movie. Such a dark, dark comedy, such interesting characters, such improbable and intriguing connections, so much suspense...

And the American tourists at the tower---GAH!

I thought Colin Farrel was quite brilliant, and I'm not even a fan of his...

Mark J said...

My parents loved it :)

It's sitting in the bottom of my suitcase - a gift from my last trip home. i promise I'll watch it as soon as you watch Dead Like Me - perhaps even sooner :)

Di Mackey said...

Colin was brilliant, wasn't he. They were all believable characters, with Ralph Fiennes doing on of his marvelous chameleon acts ... making him unrecognisable.

Your parents have good taste, Mark but ummm Dead Like Me - it's only a matter of time to watch the series. I get time to view about one movie per 6 weeks, that's what happened to DLM. I can't imagine setting aside that amount of time without working but I'll try it :)

Kay Cooke said...

I like the sound of this movie.

Di Mackey said...

I felt strangely limited in describing it, Kay ... feeling a little disloyal as they mocked Belgium a little and Brugges quite a lot :) but yes, I think you'll enjoy it too. There's definitely humour a NZer will enjoy.

Anonymous said...

For me, Bruges will always be a movie Di.

I once fell in love
(being very young, convinced it would last forever) and followed my heart breaker to his home town, Bruges, only 100 km from Antwerp.

It started out like a perfect fairytale, but it all ended eight months later with a suitcase and a broken heart at Bruges railway station.

It took me many years to go back, and when I finally did the magic was gone: sure, it was still a very pretty museum-like town, but my prince was no longer there.

"You left a part of your heart all over the planet", Hans just said, "I'm sure Di knows by now"
;-)

Unknown said...

Saw this movie a while ago and thought it was "effing" hilarious. (But of course, I was raised on a farm and am retarded)
Makes you laugh so much you could almost forget there's quite a bit of pathos in the whole thing.

Di Mackey said...

I'm sorry Peter, it sounds like a sad time. But then Hans comment and your wink did make me smile though :)

Hey distracted by shiny objects, your comment made me laugh. Somehow it seemed so out of character for you but delicious in the same moment.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OO! Shall put it on the list now!

Di Mackey said...

I think you would enjoy it, Gary. It's only wife-guilt that interfered with my enjoyment some ... the whole mocking Belgium thing.