Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Charm of an Inexpensive Guesthouse ...

4am and I find myself awake ...

Reasonably priced rooms in the centre of Barcelona may have one or two drawbacks.

I didn't know that there was flooring that could radiate a million creaks from every footstep taken but it's true, there is flooring like that and so when the first person creaked out to the bathroom just before 4am, I woke.

I believe everyone may have woken because in the course of the next 15 minutes, everyone here seems to have creaked their way to the bathroom. I had only heard footstep volume like that on Mr Bean or perhaps in a Monty Python show.

The couple next door appear to have begun packing and I think one of them is showering as I write. I guess they have an early flight ...

Good morning world, from Barcelona.

Update: 4.42am: long shower over, room neighbour has just blow-dried her hair as she and her partner talked.

Another guest just creaked into the bathroom.

Coffee is still 4 hours away.

I do hope this post has helped anyone out there suffering from Barcelona-envy.

Oh the quaint charms of 19th century buildings and guests who have no qualms about how much noise they make at 4am.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Di! Only you could've picked that one :D

Di Mackey said...

It's growing on me ;) I was a little dazed and confused last night but this morning seems simpler ... of course, there's a porter between certain. That knowledge does give some people a certain confidence.

I met a Finnish couple at breakfast this morning, they've been here almost 2 weeks. We discussed the flooring ...

Anonymous said...

ok. Maybe a bit less envy.

ca

Di Mackey said...

I'm glad, ca ... although this place kind of grows on you and I would be tempted to stay here again.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe NO ONE was having sex at 4 a.m. If they're going to wake up everyone, they ought to provide some entertainmnet--and hand out cigarettes afterwards.

Di Mackey said...

I think these guys simply hated us because they had their 4am wake up call and theoretically, we didn't.

Perhaps some people had sex after they were woken ... it wasn't a question I put out there over breakfast.