Monday, February 18, 2008

Sandra Boynton, Artist & Etc

“I love what I do, I love the people I work with, I care very much about the value of the work I create, and I don’t need more money than I have. This is not revolutionary philosophy. It’s just common sense.”

There's an interesting article about Sandra Boynton in the New York Times. Sandra's an entrepreneur who maintains a firm grasp on market realities and her finances, but she says she has succeeded by refusing to make money her main objective. Instead, she says, she has focused on the creative process, her artistic autonomy, her relationships and how she uses her time.

“I don’t do things differently to be different; I do what works for me,” she says. “To me, the commodity that we consistently overvalue is money, and what we undervalue is our precious and irreplaceable time. Though, of course, to the extent that money can save you time or make it easier to accomplish things, it’s a wonderful thing.”

3 comments:

furiousBall said...

I really like Sandra's take on what means most. Time really is the ultimate currency.

Anonymous said...

A wise woman. I love her sense of humor and had so much fun reading Barnyard Dance to my kiddos.

Di Mackey said...

Time is, furiousball and if you get to enjoy what you're doing ... well, even more excellent.

I had never heard of her, v-grrrl. After reading her I felt compelled to go searching.