Saturday, February 09, 2008

Been so busy ...

I've had a staggeringly diverse and busy two days, with so much in my life changing and becoming more established here in Belgie.

Thursday was orientation day on the new job, a day that made me think that this new opportunity is one that I will enjoy immensely, with room for both personal growth and professional development.

I've been hired as a communications assistant and will be working on the NGO's website, newsletters, creating press releases, with some photography thrown in for good measure.

And so for the next 5 months I'll be in Brussels one day every week, working with a team of people who charmed me with their office atmosphere on day one.

Taking this job meant that it was time to reexamine my business, leading me to rename and establish myself as Di Mackey - Word & Image, in keeping with the increasingly diverse work I'm beginning to pick up.

Yesterday, in less than two hours, the new business paperwork was completed and paid for, under the watchful eye of Lut who guided me when guidance was needed. Dank u wel Lut! :)

My 'Flemish team' seemed happy when I could answer the laughter-filled question 'How many different governments does Belgium have?' - asked by the-man-who-creates-the-paperwork as he worked away on his papers.

I ended my yesterday with every door and window open here in the apartment while I cleaned, enjoying the blue-sky-sunny-day that we have here again today.

It's almost as if so much has happened that writing of it is all but impossible, so you have the bare bones and I presume normal fluency will return some time soon.

But you know when some theme begins to take over your life, when everything that appears brings you back to some point ...? It's been like that.

In September I have a place in an art exhibition here in Belgium - one of 5 artists working with the theme of tolerance. Tolerance and diversity are also guiding themes at the new job.

Reading through work materials I came upon this Mahatma Ghandhi quote that I've found a few times over this last year and had a quiet moment of 'Yes', feeling relatively certain that I'm on the right path for now.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.

So ummm yes, that's me writing from my corner of the world today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're live has yet again taken an unexpected turn, from Kiwi-land to Istanbul to Antwerp and now to a steady employment. You keep amazing us, you little one ;)

On the question How many governments does this country have, I would like to refer to this funny and yet bazzling blog post from the Economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/certainideasofeurope/2008/01/belgium_sets_a_cracking_pace.cfm which explains everything very minutely.

furiousBall said...

New jobs upset the applecart just like anything else, you'll adjust soon.

I mean probably, you might not too.

(just kiddin)

Di Mackey said...

It has, Manic and I love it :)

Thanks for the link, I'll get to it.

Lol, thanks furiousball ;)

The Littons said...

The job sounds like great fun. I'm keen to hear more about the exhibition too...

Di Mackey said...

The exhibition ... the theme is Tolerantia Vincit Omnia, very much a theme in my working life at the moment.

The artists are a mix - me, an Israeli and 2 Belgians.

The show is in September so at the moment, it's all about finalising the subject of my photographs. And that alone has been fun.

Alex Roe said...

Congrats on the new job Di!

Well done. Hope it all goes well for you, but I'm sure it will!

All the best,

Alex

Di Mackey said...

Grazie, Alex.