Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly.
Epictetus

Loved this quote I found over on Abby tries again blog.

I've been making do for a while now.
Back in New Zealand, my final few years there were spent as a solo mother working hard, studying at university - spectacularly broke most of the time.

In Istanbul, I had a little more money but clothes were notoriously difficult for tall foreigners to find as the Turkish women my age were oftentimes tiny, even my tall and slender American friend felt like a giant in that world.

Then Belgium, where I couldn't earn money till recently and so ... I've had time to learn myself and now, poised on the brink of a few new pieces of clothing and a real haircut and some colour at a real hairdressers (the first since Istanbul), I'm thinking I know myself well enough to adorn myself.

Let's see how it goes.

3 comments:

furiousBall said...

I'm still working on the first part, the knowing myself thingy

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a great feeling Di:
a professional haircut and some colour? I know the feeling ;-)

Loved the "Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly" quote: especially the 'adorn yourself' part :-)

But seriously, the closest friends I have all possess a healthy dose of self-love.
Not much fun spending time with people who loathe themselves...

Di Mackey said...

But it seems like you're being fast-tracked, furiousball. Check out your comments section ... fabulous they seem to be indicating :)

Oh Peter, I do wish I had time to get it all done before the party! I'm thinking of trying 'the client'? I'd like to keep my hair long but go back to my beautiful Istanbul streaks.

Self-love ... do you know, it very much wasn't 'the thing' when I growing up back home in New Zealand. Modest, modest, modest!