Friday, February 22, 2008

Permeke's Kubus Cafe, Antwerpen

If you're a local in Antwerpen, or passing through, and you want to enjoy some good food and free wifi (and I think there are desktop computers upstairs) then I have to recommend the Kubus Permeke Cafe.

It's on De Conickplein 25 and is open from 9am on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, 11.30am on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Upstairs you have the armchairs you see on the link, downstairs it's all wooden tables, windows and lovely staff. The wine's not bad and the food is lovely - both presentation and taste-wise.

Mmm indeed, I returned my library books before they were overdue (no mean feat for this creative type who has been known to bargain with library staff in the past ... if I create my own time and space am I still subject to book loan timeframes?

I stopped off here for a glass of red wine, the first in what seems like a long time and alles goed.

5 comments:

furiousBall said...

library and a nice glass of wine... that sounds nice

Di Mackey said...

tis perfect, i'll bring you here when you're over this way eh wot ;)

i'm thinking i might head back into the library, i just added you and simon added me ... i - must - read - more lol

The Littons said...

I know - since I joined goodreads at the start of the year I suddenly feel the pressure to read more, and to find interesting things to say about the books I read...

Anonymous said...

Although I just love the new central Antwerp city library ('Permeke'), I have very mixed feelings about the impoverished neighborhood.

My s/o was robbed with a knife near that library and whenever I'm in that neighborhood I'm glad my car has an anti-carjacking auto-lock.

I posted about my ambiguous feelings way back in early 2007:

http://antwerp.wordpress.com/2007/01/26
/a-novel-approach-to-fight
-crime-in-antwerp-build-a-library/

But I'm glad you're enjoying their excellent facilities ;-)

Di Mackey said...

I know what you mean Simon. I love that I have time on the train to and from Brussels once a week but it's the writing it up afterwards... I haven't done that properly on goodreads yet.

But the library in Antwerp has a superb English section. Again I was delighted with what I found today.

I remember you writing about Permeke, Peter but you know, today I noticed a lot of older people, specially in the cafe reading so maybe ... let's see how it goes there.