Sunday, November 18, 2007

About yesterday ...

Yesterday was the day set aside for dinner with the in-laws.

A day because one wants everything nice when ones in-laws are visiting, so we shopped and we cleaned and I cooked.

I'm not sure how that happened. In the past, in stunning sleights of hand, I have managed to so stroke my Belgian man's ego that he takes over the cooking, imagining it was his idea ... or maybe he's just kind enough to allow himself to be so maneuvered.

Anyway, last night was all about Persian Chicken and rice, with Pavlova and cream to follow but only just. We were making our way through the second supermarket, the final one and queue-standing when I asked if we had chicken at home.

Gert said no.
I said Hmmmm, what about parsley, spring onions and mushrooms? He gave me that look, the raised eyebrow one reserved for times when I've said something just a little bit simple or wicked.

So ... there we were, just about to pay and go home when I realised that I had forgotten to put anything more than the red wine and cream ingredients onto the shopping list for the Persian Chicken.

It's never dull in Di World ... and I always try to say that to Gert in a good way.



I sprinted through Makro ...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

He just does not understand that you need to fill your blog with interesting stories, like forgetting everything you need to make your main dish of the evening. Sometimes he's just a little bit out of this world, I think.

Anonymous said...

We are yin and yang. I am the woman who bought the orange juice, but forgot to serve it with breakfast; bought the sour cream, then forgot to serve it with the chili; bought the baguette, but didn't serve it with the spaghetti....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my "two gay man and one frozen pizza" post I decided to delete.

It's a relief to read that some couples do manage to go through the shopping, cooking and cleaning routine, together ;-)

Di Mackey said...

So wise Manictastic ;)

There's just so much housework ... v-grrrl, how can we over-achieve in all areas?

Why delete it Peter?
Sigh, you didn't want to look as foolish as I do in this one :)

Anonymous said...

In a way, it was part of the reason to delete it Di. Although my "two gay man and one frozen pizza" post was really kind of funny, it also unintentionally linked the concept of "failure" to the word 'gay'.

As the 'managing to go through the shopping, cooking and cleaning routine, together' concept has basically no correlation to a couple's sexual orientation, I decided it was a bad idea to start off with and deleted the post.

I added a new sticky note on my fridge: "must post more positive gay stories".

A Dutch site (one I don't like:
http://www.weljongniethetero.be/
viewtelex.asp?id=3441) mentioned yesterday that 50% of the Dutch population resented gay couples who were audacious enough to (God forbid) 'kiss in public', so some wholesome 'look, we're basically the same" write ups might be useful .

But than again, if we are basically the same, failure is part of the story ;-)

Di Mackey said...

I see your point Peter but it frustrates me that people are so judgemental that you have to be careful with how you tell a story.

And I had to roll my eyes over the whole percentage of the population that resent the gay kiss thing ... don't they know the theory that we're all on a continuum and the suggestion is that should we find the right person, same sex love isn't impossible.

Pshaw! Be you, it's good enough, truly xo

Anonymous said...

Well, truth be told, red wine IS a priority.

Di Mackey said...

It is ... 2 lovely Australian reds.

Mlle said...

I miss you guys... and your Persian chicken.. :P

Di Mackey said...

We miss you too, Shanti. When you come back, come stay and we'll have Persian Chicken and red wine lots!