Friday, November 23, 2007

St Carolus Borromeus Church


St Carolus Borromeus Church, originally uploaded by - di.

I love this hand, tightly holding the stone key ... bird poo and all.

It's from a church in one of my favourite squares here in the city ... Hendrik Conscienceplein.

The church is apparently typical baroque (you'll have to take my word on that for the moment) and it was built by the Jesuits between 1615 and 1621, following a design drawn by their rector, Francois Aguillon and brother, Peter Huyssens.

Anyway, Conscienceplein is a lovely square to visit if you find yourself in the old part of Antwerpen city with time to wander.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's lovely. Btw, did you take me to that square? Or is it another one?

Ohh, I've awarded you with an award. Go check it out. And V-grrl, since she's bound to read it, you got one too.

Di Mackey said...

Hmmm, I think I took you to that square, it's close to the Tram 10 and 11 tram stop.

Hey, dank u wel for the award :)

Anonymous said...

You know Di, on half the downtown Antwerp shots you posted, you must have been passing my front door :-)

Loved the photographs. I get the impression that being in the midst of all this medieval splendor I often take it all too much for granted.

Di Mackey said...

Hmmm, I knew you were around there but I had imagined closer to the river. Anyway, I love that area of the city, it makes city living bearable.

I guess we're all guilty of not being aware 24/7 :)

Anonymous said...

I live right on the square and have a lovely view of the church from my apartment. It is definitely a most lovely square, especially on a good day and musicians come by and play under the tree.

Di Mackey said...

w, I am so envious! It must be a beautiful place to live, as it's lovely just wandering there.

I photographed The Dump Brothers playing next to the fountain one summers day.

I live out in the 80s Antwerpen suburbs, so require the occasional 'olde Europe' fix over at your square.