Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vesuvius, through the haze of a bright Naples day...


View of Mount Vesuvius, Naples, originally uploaded by - di.

The beauty of any flight, after all, is that, as soon as we leave the ground, we leave a sense of who we are behind. The four walls that marked and enclosed our lives this morning grow smaller and still smaller, less and less distinct, till finally they disappear altogether in the grid of the houses all around. We rise and rise through the clouds, into a blue stillness, and the very 'we' and 'I' that seemed so urgent when we awoke become as remote, as hard to take seriously, as that house, far, far below, now invisible.
Pico Iyer, from Sun After Dark.

Out walking this morning, I had this - my first view of Mount Vesuvius. Apparently we're not in the red zone if it erupts. So bright outside, I shall be stalking this volcano in the days ahead ...

7 comments:

furiousBall said...

can't wait to see these shots!

Di Mackey said...

Fingers crossed, Van. I'm hoping the misty stuff will clear and that I'll get out there for sunrise and sunset.

Ascender Rises Above said...

you are right it has been too long. I enjoyed looking through your photos here today. The most memorable being the waves hitting that house. A storm or a daily occurance. Good job, as usual!!

Di Mackey said...

Ahhh, the storm in Genova, Italy. It was an unusually strong storm and the Genovese were out there with me to visit with it as well :) Thank you :)

jealousdutchguy said...

jealous!!!!! i would love to see naples again. get yourself some taralli with beer or otherwise send me some. and be carefull not to take a wrong turn while wandering in the city centre, it's an even dangerous as beautiful city.

paris parfait said...

Beautiful shot! xoxox

Di Mackey said...

Hey Diede, I'll try. I'm really enjoying the red wines here at the moment ... ;)

I'm out of the city, up on a kind of peninsula, it's so very beautiful but yes, if I go to the city centre, I'll be careful.

Merci, Tara
xo