Friday, May 15, 2009

Living American in Italy ...

I'm having this whole dual-cultural experience here on the edge of the city of Naples ...

My lovely hosts are a American/Canadian couple and it just so happens that they have offered me access to the yummiest snack food.

I was finally able to complete my ethnographic work into the whole Twinkie thing, only the second time I've eaten that disturbing little treat in my life. It's not available down in New Zealand, despite reading a million Archie comics while growing up ... Archie comics that carried Twinkie adverts, making the kid that I was a little curious.

This morning, realising I was a complete innocent abroad, Tonya and Sammi set me up with a PEZ machine. Yes, that me was me eating PEZ sweets from a penguin.

Tuesday night and I arrived to real American hamburgers, delicious with the bright orange Velveeta slices, the ones that might not be good for you but taste like they could be.

I finally had Root Beer yesterday but couldn't finish it, finding it too similar to drinking liquid liniment ...

It's research work really. I've been reading of these things forever and a girl gets curious. Today holds the promise of a can of cold Dr Pepper and there are cheeseballs (not seen since New Zealand) in the big jar on the bar. Oreos and York peppermint patties live over there too.

My morning coffee is this interesting mix of percolator coffee and Hazelnut Coffee-Mate however, this morning, as I passed by the Unrepentant Wanderer in the kitchen, some Baileys may have been poured into that breakfast coffee of mine ...

Life on the road. It's a tough and difficult journey sometimes ... ;)

Ciao from this kiwi living a Neopolitan/American kind of life.

3 comments:

V-Grrrl said...

Root beer. Bleah. I'm with you on that one, and laughing over your intro to Velveeta. In Belgie, we often had American cheese in the house but I never dared serve it to a Belgian out of shame, but it is quite the thing on hamburgers. : )

Oreos and York peppermints--thumbs up! And PEZ,such a fun treat for little ones. Coffeemate? Oh my.

paris parfait said...

Oh no! You are eating the WORST of American things. Not all American foods are quite so bad for your health. And Twinkies??!! Oh, no! :) xoxox

Di Mackey said...

I love Velveeta ... sigh. York peppermints OMG! PEZ is terrifying, I only had one and hope it leaves my body one day soon . Coffeemate, oh yum! It's been fun here in Napoli, Ms V.

Lol, I know Tara but it's such fun. Frozen Twinkies are such fun. I see the Italian red wine at the end of the day as a bit of a cleanse :)
xo