Monday, April 27, 2009

Carleen Ebbs, soprano.

Our day began at 4.30am on Saturday on Flanders Fields. Martin just phoned to let me know that Carleen Ebbs was out on youtube, performing for her third time on that particular morning.

She had raised goosebumps with her beautiful voice at the 6.30am ANZAC Dawn Service at Buttes New British Cemetery. After breakfast she sang again at the New Zealand Memorial in Messines at 9.30am, again beautifully. Finally, there was this stunning performance under Menen Gate in Ieper (Ypres).

A taste of that particular day ...

6 comments:

furiousBall said...

what a beautiful voice, thanks for posting this

Di Mackey said...

A pleasure, Van :)

Unknown said...

Shows exactly why music is the international language.
On another note, if I were singing I would get the giggles from the man in the suit next to me taking the close-up photos. Reckon that's why they don't pay me to sing,...

and I can't carry a tune.
Besides that, I coulda been a contender:>)

Di Mackey said...

That man spent the morning stepping in front of me, it was kind of frustrating. Oddly enough, that didn't make me feel like laughing ;)

You don't sing either huh. We could have kicked back drinking wine as all the contenders went through their paces then, Ms DBSO

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Ah, ha! I thought I saw you in there! Awesome, awesome, awesome! I cannot sing either and so I especially appreciate the talent and grace of singers like Ms. Ebbs. Thanks for this.

Di Mackey said...

I was mortified, Barbara ... but I was documenting her singing for newspaper articles and for her so ... I took more than a few photographs, trying to get it right. It's incredibly difficult to get space in that roped off area. I arrived early, made friends with the lovely guy next to me in the wheelchair, Shrapnel Charlie - who gave me one of the lead soldiers he makes. Then another friend, Isabel and her children arrived and then the crowds began packing in around us - there was no room to move and it took hours for my legs to feel good afterwards. I covered the whole event and barely moved my feet in the tiny space alloted me. I'm delighted with the results, just sorry that I moved so much while she was singing.