Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sirpa Alalääkkölä, Artist

I met Sirpa Alalääkkölä when I was living in Marlborough, New Zealand. We bought one of her massive paintings, having completely fallen in love with her style.

She was born in Alatornio, Finland in 1964, studied in the Art School of Lapland in Tornio (1984-1990), Academy of Fine Arts (1985-1990) and at the University of Arts and Design in Helsinki.

I spent ages trying to choose a favourite painting just now ... they are massive and always tug at my heartstrings with what they capture of Kiwis and their way of life.

I lost my painting to the divorce, and perhaps rightly so in the end, it wasn't of a size that could have travelled with me but looking through them today made me think of all that I miss back home in that place called New Zealand.

Thanks for sending news of the site Chris.

5 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

I really do like these paintings - beautiful colours, lots of warmth, good looking people. I can almost smell the ocean breeze and feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. This is a picture literally bursting with good energy.

I love visiting your blog - I learn so much, thanks!

Di Mackey said...

I love Sirpa's work ... maybe one day I'll be able to buy one of her paintings again, and I'm glad you could feel something of what I imagine is so very New Zealand.

I added your blog to my blogroll, I enjoy reading the books that you're reading and the movies you're watching. :)

Lotus Reads said...

Thank you! I've been meaning to do the same (add you to my blogroll).

I so do hope you will be able to buy another Sirpa painting. I took a peek at her site earlier this morning, her work delights me!

Di Mackey said...

I didn't want to add you to my blogroll at first ... your movies were devastatingly good and I have a few problems getting the foreign movies with English, here in Belgium. :) So not adding you would have been for the most complimentary of reasons however, I decided I could get the books and that I did enjoy reading your site and so ... add it I did.

Unknown said...

Hi, sorry to hear you lost your Sirpa artwork. We would be lost without ours..