Friday, June 23, 2006

Shashi Tharoor, Writer and ...

I never thought of it but who will replace United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan when he retires in December?

Der Spiegel interviewed one possible contender for the crown. Intriguingly enough, Shashi Tharoor is a critically acclaimed author and the present head of public relations for the UN.

I liked his reply to this question:
SPIEGEL: You're a fulltime diplomat but also a celebrated writer. Are you still able to balance the two roles?

Tharoor: I find it increasingly hard to juggle the two. First the evenings vanished, then the weekends. I began a novel three Christmases ago, but I haven't touched it since. It's not just time that you need, but also a space inside your head to create an alternative universe -- one populated with characters and issues and situations that are as real to you as the ones you encounter in real life. If I win, I will have to stop all personal writing for the duration of my tenure. If I lose, I will have all the time in the world to write.

4 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I couldn't give up writing for any post - let alone the Secretary of UN!! I like his description of the space you need in your head in order to write - so true!

Di Mackey said...

I posted this because of his description of the space you need in your head. I thought it delicious.

Ahhh and imagine the characters you would meet as secretary of the un ... mind be worth a trawl lol.

Lotus Reads said...

I have all Shashi Tharoor's books and a fond regard for him, so I was excited to learn that he is a contender for Kofi Anan's post, but hearing that he might not write for a while if he does becomes Secretary-General,makes me just a little sad...

And yes, it is true isn't it, that required space in your head to create that alternate universe - beautiful!

Thanks for the post, wandering woman.

Di Mackey said...

I must find his books one day ... I had never heard of him but was fascinated that a writer might want Kofi's job.

It seems a challenging job.

And thanks for your comment lotus :)