Monday, June 23, 2008

The road ...

It's so hard to sit here at the desk and concentrate on matters to hand ...

I have a family photo session to finish today, burn to cd and post.
I have a house to clean (I have this theory that housewives really 'get' the movie 'Groundhog Day' because of the repetitive nature of house work ...)

I want to be back in Rome!

I took this shot from Ponte S Angelo, just next to Castel Sant 'Angelo, crossing the River Tiber before 6am.

My habit of waking at 5am stayed with me in Rome and the light was just superb. To walk in the quiet of early morning Rome with a camera is truly sublime.

See how the Romans knew about colour and shape ...

I miss that city.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I long to go there…

Di Mackey said...

Shashikiran, you must! I would love to read how you would write of Rome and then the photographs you would take.

I hope that you make your way there soon, in fact, I'm counting on it.

Inge said...

Di, you have to stop posting tantalising images of foreign destinations - they make me want to quit my job and hit the road again! Rome is wonderful isn't it (even though I did get robbed there)...

Di Mackey said...

Lol, you can pay me back with photos from home, Inge. I'm sorry, really I am but it's torture for me too. It's just that I'm compelled to relive these memories of travel.

(I'm sick ... she writes in a forlorn voice. You should just feel sorry for me) :(

Robbed?
That must have been horrible.

Inge said...

Yeah, my girlfriend and I were duped by two guys at the Forum Romanum in summer 2000. We were showing off our Latin skills while they took the wallet from my bag, duh! Result: 5 days in Rome with a budget of about $7 a day. We ate a lot of bread and very little pasta but it was a trip to remember!

Anonymous said...

This is exquisite.

And yes, Inge, I wasn't robbed but I found the peddlers and beggars to be very aggressive, very in-your-face. I didn't like that AT ALL.

I even had people hovering next to my table at a cafe, asking for the food off my plate!

Di Mackey said...

You know, I've been really lucky with beggars and thieves in Rome. Perhaps they don't do the area I love so much but I'll touch wood just in case.

The beggar I admired most this time was a one-legged young woman. She was everywhere, clearly fitter than me and she just did her thing quietly.