Friday, June 06, 2008

Istanbul ...

I'm not sure that I can capture the feeling of pure joy felt when I touched down in Istanbul late on Wednesday night.

I'm not sure I believed I would get back here. It's been almost 3 years now.

And of course, true to form, the temperature soared on my first full day in the city and there I was, the sweaty yabanci changing my euros in Levent, catching the metro to Taksim, crossing crazy roads I feel more comfortable on since living in road-crazy Belgium.

The taxi driver and I talked of Istanbul as he took me to the hotel in a seedier part of the city. He couldn't help smiling over my happiness about being back in his city.

The week-long training I missed due to choosing Berlin would have been so good too. The group had jelled well and they were comfortable with allowing me to walk in as photographer. In the few hours I was there it felt like I might have begun some new friendships with people from all over Europe.

I couldn't resist wandering down Istiklal caddesi during the break between workshop and dinner, quietly bemused when I found my way back to the hotel afterwards.

I left after the presentation, the hotel staff put me into a taxi which whizzed me back through the city, passing my old neighbourhood in Mecidiyekoy even, dropping me off outside the school I used to work in for the short walk to Lisen and Yakup's.

We're meeting the lovely Erkan this evening and until then, I have some time to myself this morning to wash, organise and work on photographs.

Did I mention how good it is to be back in Istanbul ...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good that you placed that last sentence at the end of your post, I was beginning to feel sorry for you that you had to go back to Istanbul :D

It's always nice to be back in a city where you lived a huge part of your life. Have a good time on the edge of the continent.

Di Mackey said...

Lol, bedankt Manic - for your initial feeling sorry for me.

My friend doubted the temperature predictions yesterday and what do you know ... it roared up to around 28-30 celsius unexpectedly. I come back 14 June, so hopefully all your exam study is done by then?

furiousBall said...

i've heard istanbul is gorgeous, pics?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read that you have this chance to visit this amazing metropolis that left you with so many memories and friends Di!

I lost count how many times I visited Turkey: way back in the time of cheap oil its was a top beach destination, and trust me, I've seen them all. Unfortunately, I never succeeded in visiting Istanbul, imagining it had some great attractions but would be too crowded as a summer vacation destination.

I was wrong and must make sure to get there before flying becomes way too expensive.

Enjoy your time in what must be an amazing city!

Pam said...

When I am not sick with envy, I am so happy for you to be jetting about the continent and parts east, camera in hand...

Inge said...

Your life is starting to resemble a feature in a glossy travel magazine, Di! Rome, Berlin, Istanbul. It's wonderful to read your stories, makes me dream of wandering again as well... Greetings from wintry but sunny Wellington!

Kay Cooke said...

I have just been catching up on your breathless descriptions - wonderful!!!! I am so happy for you: enjoy every second - but you don't need me to tell you that! :)

Mlle said...

Miss Di- Surely you're aware that I've heard you reminisce about Turkey many a time, not to mention the blog posts rich with exotic smells and sights... knowing that you're in Istanbul right now and how you must be feeling fills me with joy for you :D

xo

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what a thrill it is to be back to a beloved city! I hope your stay there gets better by the minute. I've never been to Istanbul, but I think I'd love it!