Thursday, June 19, 2008

Frida's Afghanistan Photography Exhibition, Wellington

I have some lovely friends living in Wellington - the city I thought I would bring Gert home to if we ever returned to New Zealand.

Tonight, while catching up on news over on Frida's Notebook, I read that she has a photography exhibition happening in Wellington, starting this weekend.

So this is for you, Christine, Peter and Ashley, and maybe Inge might be interested too, and Harvey? And maybe I'm just wishful thinking because it sounds like a really nice way to pass an hour or so back home in New Zealand.

She writes: This weekend in Wellington, New Zealand, an exhibition of my photos from Ghor, Afghanistan will be going up in Deluxe Cafe.

I bought a new camera while I was living in Afghanistan and there were days, maybe even weeks, when I thought maybe the most useful thing I had done in that week was to take photos of people which I could then print out and give back to them.

Then I started sharing some of my photos here, on Flickr and on my photoblog and I noticed something interesting. A lot of people responded with more passion to a single photo of an Afghan father cuddling his daughters than they did to one of my lengthy diatribes on the importance of moving past stereotypes in our global relations.

So I decided maybe it is true, what the old folks say about a picture telling a thousand words.

6 comments:

furiousBall said...

as a dad that loves his daughter like nobody's business, i love that shot

Di Mackey said...

Ik ook, or me too in Nederlands :)

Marianne said...

thanks for the plug Di!

Di Mackey said...

A pleasure, frida. Your work is beautiful.

Inge said...

Thanks for the tip! We went to Deluxe Cafe yesterday afternoon (Saturday) but the photos weren't up yet. Fingers crossed they're up soon, I'm very curious now...

Di Mackey said...

Oh Inge, you are lovely! I felt a bit naughty suggesting everyone went but I would love to see these photographs.

Dank u wel!