Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Dentist and Di and, as always, other things

My 'to-do' list now fits on a small piece of notepaper.

My root canal filling was finished today.

My suitcase is mostly packed - mortifyingly enough, repacked by Gert who knew he could do it better. I was appropriating his suit suitcase and it's so different to packing my backpack or that other small bag I use for short stays. It's beautiful now ... I'll have to sneak home and unpack it while he is working so that he doesn't see my mess after Rome.

I fly tomorrow.
And so it begins ...
6 nights in Rome.
2 days home, 4 days in Berlin.
5 hours on Belgian soil then 10 days in Istanbul.


And then, in a moment of recklessness, I booked my next dental appointment for mid-June.
The dentist wants to x-ray all my teeth.
I agreed as long as she promised not to exclaim 'OHMY!' when she saw the results.
She promised.

She then asked me whether I had thought of having all my dental work done under general anesthetic.

I replied that it had occured to me to get a medic alert bracelet that invited surgeons operating on me in an emergency to also call in a dentist to do any undone dental work.

This amused her.
I'm not sure she had known anyone with a plan like that.
I confessed that I found the root canal work okay with her and that we could try to continue one tooth at a time.

So we will.

I've been a little distressed about wear and tear on my body this year and so I've decided to face all my fears this year and undergo the battery of tests that I might have been avoiding for some years ...

Avoiding to the point where I haven't actually sent for my doctor's notes from New Zealand. I hope to avoid becoming a morality tale and may not tell all on the blog. Sigh.

Anyway, I have all I need to blog from the road, just need to see what is possible in terms of internet connections and time.

Take care and if you would like a postcard from someplace, email me and I'll send one from somewhere.

Tot ziens from this kiwi that defied its flightless bird status and flew.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Safe travels...

Unknown said...

Safe travels....

Miss Kim said...

I also avoid doctors etc... but I do give it some thought every once in a while. Maybe we should make a pact with each other to take better care of us?

You're going to have a wonderful trip (I know- I'm sending you all my 'fun' vibes!).

Anonymous said...

Dear Di,
Have a wonderful time. I look forward to reading your stories and seeing your photos.
Warm wishes,
Carolien

Anonymous said...

Have fun!!!

furiousBall said...

I feel your pain amiga. Have a safe trip and take some more pictures, there are still empty spots on my walls. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. I'll be at home studying :'(

Have fun and don't upset the security people at the airport (they aren't down with Kiwi humour). :D

Inge said...

Good luck on your travels, Di, may you shoot excellent photos and gain even better memories!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time! I look forward to the stories and the pictures.

Kay Cooke said...

May you and your teeth have the bestest time. Bon voyage.