Friday, August 11, 2006

Meg posted this poem.

I loved it, 'borrowed' it, posted it too.

This is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

William Carlos Williams

You know, it occurs to me that if I don't get Alzeimhers it will be because I move between Gert's Dutch keyboard and my English keyboard, touch-typing on both, sometimes completely forgetting where this @ is because on my keyboard it's here ".

On the other hand, if I do get Alzeimhers, it will probably because I wore out my brain with constant keyboard changes ...

4 comments:

paris parfait said...

This is one of my favourite poems. Always a pleasure to read it. As for all that going back and forth between keyboards, the brain power required will probably keep you from getting Alzheimer's! It's exercising the brain that's important. :)

Di Mackey said...

It's one of mine too, I remember hearing an audio recording of it back at university and loved it then.

I hope the keyboard differences exercise my brain well ... sometimes it hurts though.

Anonymous said...

I love this poem too. Amazing how William Carlos Williams made the ordinary so extraordinary.

I had a fun time typing on the hotel keyboard in Germany. The e-mail's I sent my friends, with misplaced "y" and "z" were like a caricature of a bad German accent on English.

Di Mackey said...

Lol v-grrrl, I remember the same problem with Turkish keyboards ... I still get 'odd' emails from Istanbul.

Williams voice, or the voice I heard on the audio reading, was extraordinary too. When I saw it I just had to post it ... I didn't want to forget that I knew it again.