Friday, April 13, 2007

I had forgotten how it is to converse with a 2 year old ...

Yesterday's big topic was 'I'm your mummy's mummy.'

'Yes, she's my mummy,'my daughter would say to her daughter.

Ms Two-Year-Old was adamant ... NO! She's my mummy!'
What were we thinking?

And long after we weren't thinking about it anymore, Ms Two was still thinking ... at 6am, so I'm told, the entire conversation was bought up and discussed all over again.

Grandad Gert is slowly coming out of the wilderness of being called Grandma because she already has a grandad back in New Zealand we think.

This morning, after breakfast, she's hanging out with the cartoons in preparation for the big day ahead. So far, she has said nothing about Little Einstein screening in Dutch ... we're not sure if she hasn't noticed or whether cartoons are the kind of thing that the little people 'understand' in any language.

Tot straks.

5 comments:

paris parfait said...

What fun - all these changes! Sounds as though you're having a wonderful time. Although if I were Gert, I think I'd insist on an alternative to that name - like maybe Granpere in French, which fills the bill. :) Enjoy! No doubt your camera is whirring away, recording many of these lovely moments. xo

Di Mackey said...

Granpere is lovely ... we'll work on it. The camera is running hot from the work it is doing :)

Anonymous said...

Just use "pepe" that's the Dutch for grandad, and is way easier for small children coz it only has two syllables and they are twice the same sound. Pepe Gert, voila, c'est ça. See Di French isn't hard :D

awomynda said...

Or what about Opa??? Sounds very entertaining chez toi at the moment. I imagine the mummies mummy confusion. Her mummy has a mummy too? Can't wait to meet her!
Love the paris photos, especially the eiffel tower.

Di Mackey said...

Pepe ... hmmm I'll check that one with Gert. He was quite taken with Granpere but it's really about what the grandchild will agree on saying.

It seems I am Mama ... Gert is still Grandma on occasions but she might just be toying with us now. You would get on well with her, Manic ... she has a massive sense of humour :)

Opa ... I'll put it into the hat too. I think Gert's kids call their grandparents something like Boma and Bompi but I don't know the spelling for sure ...

Who knew that it was going to be like this ...